Custom Search 1

Yaya Toure strikes first as Man City thrash poor West Ham

THAT THAT!: Midfielder Yaya Toure rams home his team's penalty

THE LONDON STADIUM'S first FA Cup tie saw Manchester City thrash West Ham 5-0 to proceed to the fourth round of the Emirates sponsored FA Cup.

This match came just days after West Ham had been controversially beaten by Manchester United in the Premier League; there was never ever dispute as to who deserved to win this third round encounter.

In the Hammers' ranks was Sofiane Feghouli, incorrectly sent off by referee Mike Dean on Bank Holiday Monday. Even though he had the fixture's first shot in anger he could not influence proceedings tonight.

West Ham needed some cheer after an underwhelming first half of the Premier League campaign - but having been eliminated from the most famous domestic cup competition in the world - the East Enders can now concentrate on accumulating valuable points.

The pockets of the home faithful were being tested early on in 2017 with the match against United, City and the upcoming London derby against Crystal Palace all taking place all within an eleven day period. Having parted with their money they were to gnash their teeth again.

With the top flight crown more difficult to win than ever, the FA Cup has become an even more important prize over the last few years or so. City's full strength side confirmed just how seriously they were taking the tie.

The game was to start with the teams' greatest influences in different mindsets; Hammer Dimitri Payet started on the bench while City slicker David Silva started alongside Yaya Toure in the away engine room. Silva was to prove to be the key man for his side during the opening period, prompting and creating opportunity at will.

The big open spaces of the London Stadium were always going to be attractive to Man City's passing game...and so it proved. The tie was over inside 45 minutes after the clinical visitors showed their ruthless streak.

As was the way against Manchester United, the hosts were victim to a dubious refereeing decision that turned the fixture.
In the 33rd minute Angelo Ogbonna was harshly adjudged to have fouled Pablo Zabeleta in the penalty box and referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot. Yaya Toure did the rest, calmly firing home the spot kick.

Just eight minutes later Havard Nordtveit then scored an own goal after good work by Sergio Aguero saw Bacary Sagna fire in a cross that would have been turned in by Raheem Sterling anyway.

Hammers' hopes were finally well and truly extinguished two minutes from the break when the influential Silva notched from six yards after more good work by Aguero.

Ironically, the City goals came after United had decent chances of their own. Feghouli and Michail Antonio could have got themselves on the scoresheet but failed to find their target or were denied by the sprightly Willy Caballero in the City goal.

The second half was academic and started very much how the first ended with another City goal, this time a Toure drive from the edge of area was touched home by Aguero.

A raft of substitutions for both sides confirmed that the game was up. Only Dimitri Payet's close control and trickery gave the home fans anything to cheer about on a bitterly cold night.

West Ham's players, to their credit, ran and harried all game but the truth is they were never good enough.

There were always lots of options for the City player with the ball as the two-time Premier League winners pretty much did as they liked.

Defender John Stones rubbed salt into deep West Ham wounds when he scored his team's fifth goal towards the end of a one-sided affair.

It has been a thoroughly poor festive and New Year period for the Hammers with losses to Leicester and now both Manchester teams have done nothing for already fragile morale. As for City, the future looks bright under their innovative Spanish coach, Pep Guardiola.

Those in charge of the advertising on West Ham's big screen displayed their morbid side as the February 1 fixture between these two sides was displayed.

In the end even ref Oliver took pity on the embarrassing Hammers, blowing the final whistle bang on 90 minutes despite the plethora of substitutions.

Annual subscription for The Voice newspaper print edition.

Read more stories like this in our weekly printed newspaper. To purchase an annual subscription, complete the form below and enter the code 'ONLINE2017.

* indicates required
() - (###) ###-####
Facebook Comments