Custom Search 1

Windrush: 11 people wrongly deported have died, says Javid

SCANDAL: Home secretary Sajid Javid has provide an update on the Windrush crisis

ELEVEN MEMBERS of the Windrush Generation who were wrongly deported from the UK have since died, the home secretary has revealed.

In the most recent update on his department’s investigations into the impact of the Windrush scandal, Sajid Javid also said that the Home Office has not been able to contact a number of affected individuals.

Javid has previously disclosed that the Home Office has identified 18 individuals, three of whom were deceased, that it believed to have been wrongly removed from the UK.

He wrote: “The taskforce are continuing to work proactively with partners in-country and overseas to obtain contact details for the remaining individuals, and to make contact.”

Diane Abbott said: “The full scale of the Windrush scandal is yet to be revealed. Deaths of deported British citizens and deportations for convictions that never existed, all point to the Tories hostile environment.”

Because officials have not yet been able to reach all of those who may have been affected by the immigration scandal, it is believed that the number of wrongly deported Caribbean migrants could rise.

In total, the Home Office has confirmed that there have been 83 incidents where people had been wrongly removed from the UK.

Javid said: “Of the 83 individuals who were removed, we have made contact with 42.”

Compensation

The government’s Windrush compensation consultation has been extended until November 16. The decision to extend the deadline was made on the basis of advice from Martin Forde QC, the independent adviser who has been appointed to devise the compensation scheme.

Members of the public are being urged to have their say by participating in the consultation.

To find out more and to make your voice heard, click here.

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Facebook Comments