Custom Search 1

Quarter of Zimmerman donations spent on 'living expenses'

COURT: George Zimmerman in court last month

A LAWYER for George Zimmerman has reportedly confirmed that his client will use some of the money raised from his website for living expenses and hired security.

Mark O’Mara said $50,000 out of the $200,000 worth of donations given to the 28-year-old to fund his legal defence over the fatal shooting of black teenager, Trayvon Martin, is being used for his security and setting up his living arrangements in hiding, reports The Associated Press.

Zimmerman, who plead not guilty guilty to second-degree murder in court yesterday, is said to have about $15,000 in cash and has handed over the rest of the cash to an independent administrator to manage.


KILLED: Trayvon Martin

Shortly after the site launched Zimmerman's attorneys, Hal Uhrig and Craig Sonner, said: “George Zimmerman's family has set up a website for anyone who would like help with George and his family with their living expenses and for his defense."

Speaking after the shooting neighbourhood watch volunteer, Zimmerman, said the 17-year-old had been acting 'suspicious' and claimed he shot him in self-defence following a confrontation in the Sanford, Florida, gated community on Feb 26.

The website was deactivated last month but plans to develop another defense fund for Zimmerman are said to be in place.

The case continues.

Subscribe to The Voice database!

We'd like to keep in touch with you regarding our daily newsletter, Voice competitions, promotions and marketing material and to further increase our reach with The Voice readers.

If interested, please click the below button to complete the subscription form.

We will never sell your data and will keep it safe and secure.

For further details visit our privacy policy.

You have the right to withdraw at any time, by clicking 'Unsubscribe'.

Facebook Comments