Custom Search 1

Lennox Lewis out of retirement for rematch with Klitschko

REMATCH: Lennox Lewis at the Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko weigh-in at Wembley Arena last year

LENNOX LEWIS is set to come out of retirement for a rematch with Vitali Klitschko.

The 52-year-old has not been in the ring professionally since he defeated Klitschko in 2003.

Klitschko, 46, who also retired from the sport, had previously refused a rematch with his fellow three-time heavyweight champion.

News of the rematch was first reported by Ukrainian media last week but it has now been confirmed by one of boxing’s major governing bodies, the WBC.

The WBC said the rematch will take place at its annual convention later this year.

In a statement, the WBC said: “Former WBC heavyweight champions Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko will return to the ring in a high profile exhibition during the annual WBC convention.

“[The convention] will be from September 30 to October 5 at the Fairmont Grand Hotel of Kiev, Ukraine.”

Lewis and Klitschko’s first fight was viewed as controversial by many.

Although he was defeated in the end, Klitschko dominated the early rounds, achieved high scores but due to multiple cuts, officials stopped the match.

Lewis was awarded the victory but many felt he was lucky to have won.

Read every story in our hardcopy newspaper for free by downloading the app.

Facebook Comments