Custom Search 1

Balotelli receives successful eye surgery

COOL CUSTOMER: Mario Balotelli arrives in Rome earlier this summer

MANCHESTER CITY forward Mario Balotelli will no longer have to wear contact lenses after undergoing corrective eye surgery.

The 22-year-old had the procedure on Monday (September 3) in his hometown of Brescia, reports Gazzetta dello Sport. The surgery, which went ahead a day earlier to elude waiting photographers and press, was carried out in order to rectify the player’s short-sighted vision.

Balotelli previously wore contact lenses for four years, but they caused allergic reactions and an abscess which led to conjunctivitis, meaning he could not compete in Italy’s international friendly against England last month.

Eye surgeon Emanuele Scuri told Sky Sport Italia: “He had a few problems with contact lenses some years ago.

“We waited for the defect to stabilise over the last four years and this was the right time to have the operation. His eyes did not tolerate the contact lenses and had problems at the start of the season.

“I think in around 10 days he should be ready to play again. Already this morning he asked if he could drive and I suggested he should get a lift until Thursday.

“We brought the operation forward by a day to avoid paparazzi. This surgery will enable Balotelli to see very well.”

The Euro 2012 finalist has been told to rest for 10 days, and therefore will miss Italy’s World Cup qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta. He is also a doubt for his club’s Champions League curtain raiser against Real Madrid on September 18.

Annual subscription for The Voice newspaper print edition.

Read more stories like this in our weekly printed newspaper. To purchase an annual subscription and get 50% off, complete the form below and enter the code 'ONLINE2017' - offer ends 30 November.

* indicates required
() - (###) ###-####
Facebook Comments