Custom Search 1

Adam Deacon 'sent abusive tweets to Noel Clarke for a year'

HARASSMENT: Adam Deacon (left) has been accused of harassing actor and director Noel Clarke with abusive Twitter messages

AWARD-WINNING British actor Adam Deacon sent abusive tweets including death threats to his former friend and fellow actor, Noel Clarke, because he had paranoid thoughts that Clarke was attempting to damage his reputation.

A court heard yesterday morning (Apr 13) that Deacon feared that Clarke was trying to ruin his career, so sent abusive tweets including a death threat to the screenwriter and director over a period of 42 weeks.

The Kidulthood actor, 32, of Bethnal Green, east London, appeared in court over allegations of harassment against the 2006 movie’s writer Clarke on Twitter.

A number of abusive tweets were sent from Deacon's account to Clarke’s account from March 5 to December 19 2014, Hammersmith Magistrates’ Court in west London was told.

Tom Gill, prosecuting, said: "He [Deacon] referred to Mr Clarke as a bully and blamed him for trying to ruin his career. Mr Clarke said that in 2010 he viewed Mr Deacon as a friend and after this point they fell out over work."

Referring to the Twitter posts directed at Mr Clarke’s account, he added: ‘In some cases they amounted to some death threats," reported the Mail Online.

According to reports, Clarke provided screenshots of the posts to the police.

Gill added: "On December 4 [Deacon] was given an official formal harassment warning by police and this was delivered in person. Despite this he continued to post messages to Mr Clarke."


FORMER WORK PALS: Deacon appeared alongside Clarke in British movies Kidulthood and Adulthood which were both written and directed by Clarke

Last month the actor was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being charged with possession of a machete in public.

Police were called on January 6 to reports of a man in Bethnal Green allegedly armed with a ‘machete’ style knife and threatening members of the public.

Towards the end of the hearing, Deacon asked magistrate Anne Elias if it was possible to move the date of the trial closer.

He said: "When I do acting they won’t insure me until the trial is done. I’ve lost out on a lot of work because of it."

After consulting with other members of the bench, she replied: "I’m afraid we’re stuck with that date, we do accept it’s not ideal for you. We agree a date of this trial for July 20."

The magistrate added that Deacon was "not to contact Mr Clarke or incite any of his family or friends, not to put anything on social media that is related to him."

She also said that the actor is "not to enter Kensington and Chelsea and to continue to live and sleep at the address that you have given to the court".

Deacon denies harassment without violence and is due to next appear in Hammersmith on July 20.

Annual subscription for The Voice newspaper print edition.

Read more stories like this in our weekly printed newspaper. To purchase an annual subscription and get 50% off, complete the form below and enter the code 'ONLINE2017' - offer ends 30 November.

* indicates required
() - (###) ###-####
Facebook Comments